So here I am, 10 years later... ...time for another set of challenges. And that is where this blog begins, in the middle of April 2010 the gauntlet was thrown and I came up with a list of 40 things that I wanted to experience and enjoy before I hit the big "40"!
40 challenges, 26 months, one man. I hope you join me along the way!
So, without further ado I officially announce the list of 40 challenges:
40 things to do before I'm 40
- Visit all 48 ceremonial counties of England
- Climb a mountain (without falling off this time...lol!)
- Improve my cooking skills with a culinary course
- Publish a book of photographs
- Sample wine at vineyard in France
- Learn 3 new crafts
- Watch a Shakespeare play at the Globe Theatre, London
- Meet somebody really famous
- ‘Do lunch’ in Paris
- Dine in Bruges
- Party in Barcelona
- Watch ‘Cirque De Soleil’ live.
- Photograph the ‘Big Five’ whilst on Safari in Africa
- Do a good deed for a complete stranger (Pay it forward...)
- Master the art of Sushi making, sausage making and pasta making
- Read 25 best selling novels that I haven't read before
- Replace the bathroom in my house
- Eat in 25 restaurants recommended by the good food guide.
- Have afternoon tea at the Ritz
- Walk along the F1 road race circuit in Monaco
- Do an evening class in something fun (not work related!)
- Take a ride in a hot air balloon
- Go to a music festival
- Learn to juggle 3 balls (at the same time...lol!)
- Sleep in a haunted house/castle
- Invest in the Stock market
- Have a BBQ on the beach
- Enjoy a day at the races in style
- Be a member of the audience in a TV show
- Drink a pint of Guinness at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin
- Host a Murder Mystery dinner party
- Take a ride on an open top bus tour through London
- Sample 100 different single malts
- Enjoy a boat trip whilst drinking champagne
- Ride a rollercoaster at a theme park (my worst nightmare!)
- Gamble in a casino
- Visit all the squares of the Monopoly Board in London on one day (with a pub crawl thrown in)
- Walk along Hadrian’s Wall in Northern England
- Build and light a camp fire without matches, then cook sausages and marshmallows on it.
- Take a journey on a Steam train
So that is my list. Each item has its own little challenge. Some requiring travel; some requiring varying levels of ingenuity, dexterity and/or creativity, some requiring rather a lot of food and alcohol; and some simply requiring a sense of humour and sense of adventure. I am writing this first blog post at the beginning of the challenge. I will write plenty of posts as I work my way through the list, sharing plenty of the trials and tribulations, the laughter and the horror (I'm still having second thoughts about the roller coaster and the haunted house!!!), and there will be plenty of photographic evidence on the way too!
Where ever you are, I do hope you can join me on my journey! Oh, and if you already have your own list or you decide to start your own list of things you are challenging yourself to achieve, then please let me know.
Best wishes and see you on the way!!!
A big shout out and thank you to Design Bug for designing this blog site for me!